Gluten Free Coffee Cake Recipe
I have been raking through my cupboards and came across some chocolate coffee beans I had ordered so putting them to use I made a classic coffee cake.
This cake has a rich coffee flavour going through it and is a hit with coffee lovers
- 250g butter / margarine / Dairy free version
- 200g caster sugar
- 60g golden syrup
- 4 large eggs
- 250g gluten free self-raising flour
- 1 level tsp baking powder ( gf )
- 3tbsp coffee essence (Camp coffee)
- 200g unsalted butter / margarine / dairy version.
- 400g icing sugar
- 2-3tbsp coffee essence
- 2tsp cocoa powder, for dusting
- Chocolate covered coffee beans
- 2 x 20cm (8in) sandwich tins, buttered and base-lined
- Set the oven to 190C, 375F, gas 5. Put the butter, sugar, syrup and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Sift in the flour and baking powder, and add the coffee essence. Whisk together for 1-2 mins until the mixture is smooth, light and fluffy.
- Divide the mixture between the two tins and spread evenly. Bake in the centre of the oven for 25-30 mins, until well-risen and firm to the touch. Turn the cakes out on to a wire rack to cool.
To make the filling
- Beat the butter, icing sugar,
- coffee and 2tbsp water together until smooth, light and fluffy.
- Place one of the cakes on a flat serving plate and spread with half the buttercream.
- Place the second cake on top and spread with the rest of the buttercream, swirling the top.
- Dust with cocoa powder.
- Decorate with chocolate coffee beans
- Slice to serve. Store in an airtight container. It will keep for a couple of days.
This cake goes well with a cuppa and enjoy x