Gluten Free Christmas Cake Recipe
Here is my gluten free Christmas cake recipe.
You have to make your Christmas cake a few months ahead of the big day as it needs feeding with extra brandy which makes a moist cake. You can decorate it however you choose, or just have it plain with Wensleydale cheese.
- 1kg packet of mixed dried fruit
- 200g chopped glace cherries washed.
- Juice and zest of one large orange.
- 200 ml of brandy (use rum if you prefer)
- 225g butter / margarine / dairy free spread.
- 225g dark brown sugar.
- 1 tbsp black treacle.
- 225g gluten free plain flour.
- 1 heaped tsp mixed spice.
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum.
- 4 large free range eggs.
- The night before mix together the dried fruit cherries orange juice and zest and the brandy in a bowl and give it a good stir put cling film over and leave overnight.
- Grease and line a 8 inch cake tin and line the inside of the tin with a liner, preheat the oven 140c / 150c fan / gas 1.
- Beat the sugar and butter together until light and Fluffy.
- Add the black treacle.
- Sift in the flour, xanthan gum, and mixed spice and beat the mixture.
- Add the eggs and mix together thoroughly.
- Add the fruit and the liquid and stir together.
- Spoon the mixture into the cake tin and push the mixture ensuring its pressed into the bottom of the tin, cover with greaseproof paper with a hole in the middle.
- Place in the oven for 4-4 1/2 hours until a skewer comes out clean.
- Feed the cake, pierce the cake with skewer and drizzle brandy over every week until you decorate it.
To decorate get some marzipan and icing or dried fruit or like me have the cake plain with Wensleydale cheese enjoy x